Posted on October 24, 2021
Administrative Assistant Job Description – North Suburban Synagogue Beth El, Highland Park, IL
North Suburban Synagogue Beth El is seeking an experienced Administrative Assistant to support several departments including Communications, Circle of Life Catering and Operations. We are looking for a person with a strong team-player mentality, who will ensure that all matters are addressed in a timely and professional manner. Because this individual will be working across several departments, good organization skills are a must, as Beth El is an exciting, fast paced organization with an active membership of over 1000 families. The person selected will be front facing, working directly with our membership in person, by phone or e-mail. Excellent email and phone skills are essential. Salary is competitive and will be dependent on experience.
- Assist with weekly all-congregation Constant Contact e-mail, adding new content supplied by the Communications Director.
- Work with staff to make sure that all information for Constant Contact e-mail is correct, and includes dates, times, descriptions, and links. Check that all info agrees with Synagogue on-line calendar.
- Make minor updates to WordPress website as needed.
- Use Microsoft Publisher to update and format weekly newsletter handed out at Shabbat services.
- Take photos of events in the building with camera or phone that can be used in weekly publicity.
- Proof-read quarterly bulletin and offer possible edits.
- Work with Communications Director to improve Synagogue’s social media presence.
- Serve as the point person and client representative for those who wish to schedule Circle of Life and/or rooms at the synagogue.
- Schedule facility tours for prospective Circle of Life clients, working closely to include the Operations Manager and Director of Catering.
- Work closely with Operations Manager to ensure that potential events do not conflict with events already on the synagogue calendar.
- Work with the Director of Catering to develop a system for food and supply ordering, to ensure that that all invoices are turned into the business office in a timely manner.
- Work with Director of Catering and Director of Finance to create and send invoices for Circle of Life using Quickbooks to clients for payment in advance of events.
- Support Executive Director and Development Director by mastering reporting functions of Membership Database (ShulCloud).
- Work with Operations Manager to help maintain Synagogue on-line calendar.
- administrative tasks including help with mailings, printing etc.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a busy, fast-paced office or non-profit environment.
- Excellent writing and inter-personal communication
- Can-do, positive attitude
- Team-Player mentality
- Problem Solving Skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Calendar, Microsoft Publisher, ZOOM
- Experience with QuickBooks (accounting software), WordPress (Website) and ShulCloud (Membership Database) helpful
Full-time competitive salary
Paid vacation and sick days
Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance – (Employer pays a percent of Health)
Please send resume and cover letter to: